The Vanguard Urologic Institute presents our Centers of Excellence
Consistent with our name, the mission of the Vanguard Urologic Institute is to embrace new ideas and technologies in science and medicine, bringing the best of them to our patients. Our Centers of Excellence were established to carry out our mission to ensure that our patients are provided the very best care in each particular sub-specialty of Urology.
- The Texas Prostate Center - Established by world-renowned surgeon, Dr. Kevin Slawin, the Texas Prostate Center's mission is to extend advanced technologies to patients with prostate disease, specifically prostate cancer and benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). Dr. Slawin has tapped the knowledge and experience he gained over 15 years as Director of the Baylor Prostate Center to provide a unique level of service and individualized care to patients.
- The Center for Kidney Health - Established by Dr. Tung Shu, Director of Endourology and Minimally Invasive Surgery, The Center for Kidney Health focuses on the management of kidney diseases/conditions such as benign and malignant kidney tumors, ureteral diseases (e.g. ureteropelvic junction obstruction and ureteral obstruction) and kidney stone management. The Kidney Cancer Program is an integrated, multidisciplinary team of specialists in urology, oncology, and radiology offering the highest standard of patient care and current treatment advances. Our comprehensive evaluation, personalized treatment and minimally invasive approach provide a seamless integration of medical care. Our Kidney Stone Management Program offers a multidisciplinary management approach to the treatment of kidney stones and is designed for all patients who suffer from renal stone disease. Dr. Shu sets a plan of long-term management for recovery and prevention designed to keep the patients free of future kidney stones.
- The Texas Continence Center, recently renamed the Rodney A. Appell Center for Continence and Pelvic Health - Established by the late world-renowned surgeon, Dr. Rodney A. Appell, the Rodney A. Appell Center for Continence and Pelvic Health's mission is to continue his legacy in the treatment of providing state-of-the-art diagnosis in Vanguard’s on-site Urodynamics Laboratory, and treatment to men and women with incontinence and voiding dysfunction. Dr. Peter Hinh will be providing services in this Center.
- The Center for Screening, Prevention, Detection, Surveillance, and Minimally Invasive and Focal Therapy for Prostate Cancer - Established by Dr. Kevin Slawin, the Vanguard Center for Screening, Prevention, Detection, Surveillance, and Minimally Invasive and Focal Therapy for Prostate Cancer was developed specifically to bring to bear the entire body of knowledge with respect to controversial issues surrounding PSA-based screening for prostate cancer. We apply the most up to date knowledge and, and to use the latest online Web-enabled nomograms and other tools, to help men make the best, most well-informed decisions that fits each man’s philosophy and goals with respect to his health and lifestyle.
- The Center for Male Sexual Health and Wellness - Established by John Dodge PA-C, the Center for Male Sexual Health and Wellness is devoted to the overall wellbeing of our patients with a specific focus on issues which many men may find difficult to discuss. Among these are erectile dysfunction, aging, testosterone deficiency, and other health and wellness concerns.
back to top